Monday, May 12, 2014

My Experience Working on La Voz Kids


            Hello everyone, I hope you all have a great week! I’m taking this time to share with you my experience working on La Voz Kids. Even though the second season of this Spanish/Kid version of The Voice started a few weeks ago, I waited until today to write about it because I worked on the “Battles” portion of the show, which concluded last night. The show, which airs on Telemundo Sunday nights, had three episodes (April 27, May 4, and May 11) of “las batallas” where 18 out 54 kids made it through to the live portion of the show which starts next week.

            I worked as an assistant on the contestant management department, so I dealt directly with the kids and their families. Throughout the week before rehearsals and the tapings began, I made sure they were on time for their meals, their tutoring hours, voice or dance practice, etc. Once rehearsals for the tapings began, I was in the soundstage coordinating they’re arrival to the holding area before it was their turn to go up and perform. At the same time, I also managed to assist the audio department micing lavs on contestants and two family members. Once the actual tapings began, it was pretty much the same drill, except it got crazier but more exciting, since it’s shot as if it was live. The kids were divided in groups of three, totaling eighteen groups. Only one kid per group made it through, so it got pretty intense. It was pretty much “Hunger Games,” as I like calling it.

            I must say this has been one of the best, if not the best, work experience so far. One of my dreams came true, which was to work on a singing competition show. I got to be back in Orlando for almost two weeks, which meant I had the opportunity to catch up and work with friends and colleagues, I swinged by my favorite local spots, and I visited my alma mater and spoke to students about life after college and LA. I got to work on a new department and I learned a lot from both the people above me and even the contestants. It was also nice seeing these three episodes on TV after going through that process with my colleagues, the contestants and their families. I wish the best of luck to everyone on the live portion of the show.



No comments:

Post a Comment